Swimmer - Hugh Tucker
Date of Birth: 26 February 1951 - Age 53 years
Profession: Owns Aquatrails, a
canoeing and rafting outdoor company.
- 1972 - Simonstown to Muizenberg - time of 02H41- record. This
record was only broken in 2001.The record stood for 29 years.
- 1972 - Three Anchor Bay to Robben Island - time 02H45 - record.
This record stood for 7 years.
- 1972 - Robben Island to Woodstock – 04H10 - record. This
record still stands to this day.
- 1992 - Robben Island to Blouberg – 02H20.
- 1973 - Failed in the English Channel after swimming for 12 hours.
- 1973 - Swam the English Channel with five other swimmers in
a relay for 24H03. This was a double-crossing of the Channel and
a world record that stood for many years.
- 2003 - Simonstown to Muizenberg - time 03H18.
- 2004 – Robben Island to Blouberg – time 02H13.
Hugh Tucker has been involved with the sport for 31 years and has
assisted with over 150 swims to Robben Island. This help to others
has been in the form of pilot and timekeeper.